Delegate to support staff with confidence
Do your support staff or paralegals generate income directly for your business? If not, they can be converted into fee earners by enrolling them on courses leading to a CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. You might also consider developing staff through one of the new legal apprenticeship programmes.
What is the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice?
The Certificate comprises:
An introductory unit – an essential overview of the English legal system and the structure of the legal profession
A law unit – the underpinning knowledge needed by all fee earners
Its linked legal practice unit – necessary practical knowledge
Two professional skills units – the key skills of client care and legal research.
Who is it for?
This qualification is designed to give non-qualified staff the knowledge and expertise to handle standard case files, or standard transactions under supervision.
What does it cost?
The costs are as follows:
Course fees for the CILEx Level 3 Certifcate: £1162.50 (£1395 including VAT)
Course admin fees for booking revision sessions/workshops £33.34 (£40 including VAT)
CILEx registration and exam fees £387.50
Total cost excluding VAT £1583.34. VAT is chargeable on the course element only so the total cost including VAT is £1822.50.
Using the summary assessment of costs as a guideline (Band D) you could recoup your investment in approximately a dozen chargeable hours. There is a further indirect benefit in that more qualified staff can be released to work on higher value matters.
How long does it take?
Your firm can benefit quickly from these programmes. We recommend that the five units that make up the Certificate will require 290 hours of study in total, which is typically achieved over one year. However, this period can be reduced if study time is allocated during working hours.
What areas of legal practice are covered?
The following qualfiications are available. Please have a look at our page on the CILEx Level 3 Certificates in Law and Practice for full details of the courses that make up each Certificate.
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Childcare Practice)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Civil Litigation) with Contract as the law subject
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Civil Litigation) with Tort as the law subject
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Conveyancing)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Criminal Litigation)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Elderly Client Practice)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Employment Practice)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Family Practice)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Probate Practice)
- CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Residential and Commercial Leasehold Conveyancing)
The great advantage is that you can select the correct qualification for your organisation's needs. Julia Jenkin of Mogers Solicitors selected the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Civil Litigation) with Contract as her law subject. She says:
"I have just completed the five units for my Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. The courses have really increased my knowledge and confidence. I was a legal secretary when I started, but I am now a fee-earner in the Litigation Department, and I have put into practice much of what I learnt in my contract and civil litigation courses. For example I have recently given advice on counteroffers to a client on the telephone.”
Julia's supervising partner, Simon Veysey, confirmed the benefit that the firm had gained from their investment:
“Julia’s contribution has become more effective since undertaking her Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. She is taking on an increasing workload and we are pleased to have supported her through these exams."
What alternatives should I consider?
If the staff members that you wish to develop do not have a client-facing role then you might consider enrolling them on the introductory unit - Unit 1 Introduction to Law and Practice, along with a law unit and its linked practice unit: for example, Unit 1 Introduction to Law and Practice plus Land Law and Conveyancing; Unit 1 Introduction to Law and Practice plus Tort and Civil Litigation. The package price for Unit 1, a law unit and its linked practice unit is £779.17 plus VAT (£935). Select from the law and linked practice subjects below:
- Contract Law and Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law and Criminal Litigation
- Land Law and Conveyancing
- Land Law and Residential and Commercial Leasehold Conveyancing
- Law of Tort and Civil Litigation
- Employment Law and the Practice of Employment Law
- Family Law and the Practice of Family Law
- Family Law and the Practice of Childcare Law
- Law of Wills and Succession and Probate Pratice
- Law of Wills and Succession and the Practice of Law for the Elderly Client
Find out about the course structure and course materials for Level 3 courses in a law and legal practice subjects.
Get in touch
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, please contact Jenny Pelling, our Director of Business and Apprenticeships, on 01234 844326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.