site map | 17 October 2018

“CILEx Law School staff are efficient, friendly and sympathetic.”

CILEx Law School Student Survey

Select

The Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship

This Apprenticeship Standard was developed as a five-year programme leading to qualification as a Chartered Legal Executive, but exemptions from some of the content are available for candidates who already have a Paralegal Apprenticeship, a number of CILEx Level 3 units or a law degree.

Key features

The apprenticeship encompasses:

  • All of CILEx‘s academic requirements – currently ten Level 3 units and six Level 6 units or exemptions depending on prior attainments
  • Qualifying employment rules and work-based learning requirements.
  • The completion of an extended case study.
  • 20% off-the-job learning time is required.

Candidate specification

We recommend that this apprenticeship is appropriate for:

  • progression from the Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services - exemptions are available for the CILEx units already studied
  • progression from the Paralegal Apprenticeship - the CILEx Level 3 units achieved during the Paralegal Apprenticeship
    count towards the requirements of the Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship.
  • employees who are already partway through their CILEx qualification - we are offering a number of start points for this apprenticeship, so that students who have already achieved some or all of their CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice can be moved into the Apprenticeship scheme in order for their employers to take advantage of government funding or levy allocation for the remainder of their training. Course delivery will be mostly by webinar with some face-to-face provision. We can advise on what we can offer, and eligibility for funding, according to each student’s individual circumstances.  
  • law graduates studying the CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma can also be transferred on to this Apprenticeship to take advantage of government funding or levy allocation. 

Anyone embarking on the CLE apprenticeship must be in a role which meets CILEx Regulation’s requirements for qualifying employment during the final years of their apprenticeship. All candidates, whatever their starting point, must must have Maths and English GCSE grades A*-C/9-5.

We do not recommend starting a school leaver immediately on to the Chartered Legal Executive apprenticeship for their first role in a legal organisation. Instead, we recommend that they start on the Paralegal Apprenticeship and move on to the later stages of the Chartered Legal Executive apprenticeship after that. This means that you will only commit new recruits to a two-year programme and those who show the attributes and aptitude to succeed can transfer on to the Chartered Legal Executive programme which gives exemptions for the CILEx units already studied.

 

Costs and fundingEuropean Union Social Fund

The minimum wage for an apprentice aged under 22 in the first year of the apprenticechip is £3.50/hour, but employers in the legal services sector will usually pay significantly more than that. The funding rate payable for the delivery of this apprenticeship has been set by the government at £12,000. If you are a levy payer this can be allocated from your levy. If you are not a levy payer with more than 50 employees then the government will pay 90% of this amount and you will pay the remaining 10%. Incentive payments of £1,000 are payable if you recruit an under 19 year old. See the table below for funding and allocation of the levy for this apprenticeship. 

Fewer than 50 employees where the apprentice is 16-18 years old No cost to employer – government pays all. Incentive payment of £1,000 for taking on an under 19 year old.
For non-levy paying employers (payroll less than £3m). 10% of capped cost = £1,200.
Incentive payment back of £1,000 for taking on an under 19 year old.
For levy-paying employers (payroll greater than £3m) £12,000 comes out of the levy pot. Any additional  CLE apprentices taken on once levy pot, plus government 10% top up, used, would then cost the employer only £1,200 per apprentice (10%).
Incentive payment back of £1,000 for taking on an under 19 year old.

How do I start the process?

Employers

If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, including how to transfer current CILEx students on to the Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship programme, please contact Jenny Pelling, our Director of Business and Apprenticeships, on 01234 844326 or email jenny.pelling@cilexlawschool.ac.uk.

Applicants

If you are interested in applying for an apprenticeship, please visit our vacancies page or contact apprentice.recruitment@cilexlawschool.ac.uk.