City & Guilds/CILEx Level 2 Certificate in Legal Studies - £590
This qualification is ideal if you are interested in introductory-level study in legal practice. The courses are set at approximately GCSE level.
Who is this qualification for?
The courses leading to this qualification are suitable:
- if you are a legal secretary and wish to understand more about the context of your work or
- if you wish to start studying law with a view to working as a paralegal in a file-handling role and you do not have the minimum recommended academic requirements to embark on the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. The courses leading to the City & Guilds/CILEx Level 2 Certificate in Legal Studies will give you a good introduction to legal study and will give you the confidence to progress to the next stage.
What will I study?
To achieve the Certificate you must pass Unit 201 to Unit 204 from the list below plus one other unit. Syllabus content for each unit is being updated and will be available on the CILEx website.
- Unit 201 The Legal Environment
- Unit 202 Principles of Criminal Liability
- Unit 203 Principles of Contract
- Unit 204 Principles of Negligence
- Unit 205 Law in the Workplace
- Unit 206 Civil Litigation
- Unit 208 Family Law
- Unit 209 Wills and Succession
- Unit 210 Land and Conveyancing
When you enrol with CILEx Law School you will receive the course manual for your unit(s) to guide you through the syllabus. The course materials include practice activities and assignments to prepare you for your assessments. You will have telephone support from our Academic Team and our designated tutors are available to respond to your queries on the on-line course forum.
Once you have worked through the materials, you will progress to your formal assessment which you will submit to us for marking. Your course will be valid for one year from when you enrol, and you will need to compete your formal assessments within this period.
Each Unit will typically take 40 study hours to complete, so you should expect to study for 200 hours to achieve the Certificate.
The compulsory unit on the Legal Environment is assessed by an on-line multiple choice test. This can be taken under the supervision of your employer or an external City & Guilds approved centre (including at CILEx Law School's premises). The other units are assessed by practical written tasks. Your CILEx Law School tutor will mark your assignments and advise CIty & Guilds of your mark.
CILEx Law School is approved by City & Guilds for the delivery of these qualifications. City & Guilds has awarded CILEx Law School a grade ‘A’ for every aspect of our course delivery including our management systems, resources, candidate support, assessment, quality assurance, records and continuous performance.
Once you have completed your Level 2 Certificate in Legal Studies you may wish to consider studying for a CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice, which is a higher-level paralegal qualification. You will be exempt from Unit 1 Introduction to Law and Practice, which is one of the units that make up the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice, if you achieve a pass in all five units of the City & Guilds/CILEx Level 2 Certificate in Legal Studies. The CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice also contributes towards the first stage of legal executive training - the CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice.
Apply now on-line or print off and complete the course enrolment form below, and submit by post or fax. Enrolment applications can also be taken by telephone on 01234 844300.
Download: City & Guilds/CILEx application form