CILEx Level 6 Unit 14 Wills and Succession
This course is set at the equivalent to honours-degree level and will give you really in-depth knowledge of wills and succession law. It is written to deliver the CILEx syllabus, and is republished annually to ensure the content is up to date.
Who is the course for?
This course is relevant if you are looking to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive lawyer. This course can count towards the CILEx Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice qualification.
It is also a standalone CILEx Level 6 Single Subject Certificate which is suitable if you are:
- a senior legal practitioner or paralegal working in a probate department who has not studied this area of law as part of their degree, or who wishes to refresh your knowledge.
- someone wishing to meet the knowledge requirements to qualify as a CILEx Probate Practitioner.
- a will-writer who is looking for a recognised qualification in will-writing
- someone who wishes to gain in-depth knowledge of the law relating to inheritance.
What is the course content?
The content of the course is designed to deliver knowledge of the CILEx syllabus. A key element of the course materials is the printed course manual which accompanies the online course materials (see How our CILEx course work).
Tables of contents and sample pages from the most recent edition of this manual are available below. These are updated as the new editions become available.
CILEx Level 6 induction
Attendance at an induction is included as part of this course. The induction provides details on your course, with activities on timetabling and how to answer different styles of question. It will give you a great starting point to get the most out of distance learning.
Essential course information
In addition to the overview below, you can find further information on the How our CILEx courses work page.
This course is delivered by supported distance learning, with on-line, face-to-face and telephone support. There are no fixed enrolment dates so you can enrol at any time of year. The course is valid for fifteen months and you need to complete all the course study exercises and mock assignment within this period.
This unit will typically take 150 hours to complete including studying and revision. You can decide how you will allocate that time according to your other commitments. There will be at least two exam sessions (January and June each year) within the period of duration of your course, and you can select which you wish to aim for.
This course is set at Honours Degree standard.
For further information on the course resources please visit the How our CILEx courses work page.
The method of assessment for this law unit is an unseen exam (3 hours in duration) set by CILEx.
Please see the CILEx information section below for information on exam key dates and deadlines.
CILEx Law School is committed to the provision of accessible learning and ensuring that all students are afforded equal opportunities throughout their studies. If you require reasonable adjustments in relation to a disability, health condition or learning difficulty, or if you would like additional information, please email our Learner Support Advisor (LSA) at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no formal entry requirements for CILEx Level 6 courses and qualifications. However, if you are following the Chartered Legal Executive training route, you will need to have completed (or be close to completing) your CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice.
It is possible to enrol on a Level 6 subject for a specialist knowledge without being, or intending to become, a CILEx member. Non-members taking Level 6 courses as Single Subject Certificates should have substantial experience in the sphere of law relevant to the their chosen subject or qualifications at GCSE, A-level standard or above. We strongly recommend that you should have studied at least at CILEx Level 3, or have a law degree, before enrolling on Level 6 as your first CILEx course.
Please note that in addition to the course fees, you will also incur additional costs:
- Live sessions/workshops: a £10 administration fee per live session/workshop, payable at the time of booking. You may also incur costs associated with attending such events (e.g. travel, accommodation).
- Professional skills subject champion: a £75 subject champion referral fee, where you require more than the number of markings of the assessed assignment that are included within the course fee.
- International shipping: where you require your materials shipped internationally (outside mainland GB), you will incur a one-time postage fee of £15 for Europe and £25 for outside Europe.
- CILEx membership: anyone who wishes to sit a CILEx Level 6 exam or assessment must be a current member of CILEx unless you are sitting an exam as a CILEx Level 6 Single Subject Certificate. Refer to cilex.org.uk for further information.
- Exam registration: Enrolment on a course does not constitute exam entry. You will need to register to enter the relevant CILEx exam including for paying the exam entry fee and making the relevant arrangements, particularly if you live overseas as you will be required to locate and organise your own external examination centre.
- The cost of additional recommended text books.
The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) is the CILEx membership body. You will deal with CILEx in matters relating to exams registration, locations and fees, as well as those relating to your CILEx membership (which is required unless you are sitting a single CILEx Level 6 unit).
Below you will find information on fees relating to membership and exams, as well as exam key dates and deadlines set by CILEx.
If you elect to become a member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), the grade of member depends on your current status:
- Upon completion of the CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice or as the holder of qualifying law degree: you are an Associate Member status and are entitled to use the ACILEx designatory letters
- Upon completion of the CILEx Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice or the CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma: you become a Graduate Member of CILEx and are entitled to use the GCILEx designatory letters
- Once you have completed your qualifying employment and successfully submitted your work-based learning portfolio: you are admitted as a Fellow of CILEx and are entitled to use the FCILEx designatory letter.
You must register as a member with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), and pay the annual membership fee, to be eligible to enter the exam. There is one exception, which is if you are studying for a Level 6 Single Subject Certificate. The amount payable depends on the relevant membership level.
The CILEx subscription year runs from 1 January to 31 December each year. Depending on when you join during the membership year the membership fee will be calculated on a pro-rata basis from the date of registration to 31 December.
Exams are held in January and June every year. When you enrol with us on a course we do not specify which exam session you should register for, as our courses are designed to offer maximum flexibility. You may have a lot of available time and wish to enter the first available exam, or you may need to use the full period of your course if you are fitting your studies around many other commitments. If you would like advice on which exam session to aim for, and how to use the exam sessions to spread your academic workload across the year, please contact us.
We offer a number of payment options so you can select the one which works best for you.
Online. Enrol now by clicking on ‘Buy online’ at the top of this page and following the checkout process.
By BACS. Download and complete the application form at the top of this page and email it to email@example.com for further instructions. Payment can be made by card or cheque. An instalment option is available if paying by BACS. See the application form for details.
Payment by your employer or a third party. If your employer or a third party is paying your fees please download and complete the application form at the top of this page and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions. The instalment option is not available.
Our terms and conditions, use of data and policies
For current terms and conditions, our Privacy Statement and other policies, please visit: