CILEx Level 2 Diplomas for Legal Secretaries
Our courses for legal secretaries will develop or refine your secretarial skills and help you to succeed in the legal environment. The choice of legal secretary qualifications available means that you can tailor your learning to fit your aspirations.
The CILEx Level 2 Diploma for Legal Secretaries qualifications aim to develop and refine your legal secretarial skills and to provide you with a recognised qualification. They will teach you about secretarial work in a legal environment, with a focus on either legal studies or legal information processing.
This is a broader qualification than the Level 2 Certificate for Legal Secretaries. It is achieved by studying the units that make up the Certificate with two of the following three elective options: database processing, spreadsheet processing and presentation techniques.
This qualification is set at approximately GCSE level.
At a glance
Qualification comprised of six courses
Courses valid for 15 months
- Includes course materials for the units that make up your qualification
- Access to the online Student Area
- Practice activities and assignments to prepare you for your assignments
Legal information processing route
The following legal information processing route options are available:
Legal studies route
The following legal studies route options are available:
Essential course information
When you enrol with CILEx Law School you will receive course materials for the units that make up your qualification. You will also be given access to the online Student Area. This will be the hub of your studies, where you can access the online course and qualification handbooks, sample assignments and administrative forms.
You will have access through the Student Area to the Course Forum where you can ask questions of our dedicated tutors. We also provide an Academic helpline to assist you as you go along.
Once you have worked through the manual for a unit, and attempted the practice exercises within it, you can request your assignment.
Each unit is assessed by one assignment. As you complete each assessed assignment, you submit it to your CILEx Law School tutor for marking and comment. CILEx Law School will inform CILEx of your assignment results. Once you have completed all the units that make up your chosen qualification CILEx Law School will request your Award, Certificate or Diploma from CILEx.
There are two types of assessed assignment for these courses:
- Written exam: These are to be taken under supervision of your employer or an approved third party. Dates for these exams are either set by CILEx (there are four sessions a year) or by you, depending on the unit.
- Written multi-task assignment: You will be allowed an initial six weeks to do your research and compile it for reference. You will then type the final assignment during a set time supervised session. The assignment date will be set by you and your supervisor.
There are no set entrance requirements, but keyboard skills are recommended. Your course will be valid for one year from when you enrol, and you will need to complete your formal assessments within this period.
CILEx Law School (CLS) is committed to respecting the personal data you supply to us. In order to deliver your course, we will need to use your data to:
- Hold the information you have supplied on the joint management information system used by the CILEx Group (CILEx Professional Association, CILEx Regulation, CILEx Group Services and CLS) to be used only for the purposes of processing your application and administering your course.
- Provide your name, address, date of birth, course details and your progress to CILEx as the warding body for these qualifications for the purposes of registering you on your selected qualification and awarding you the Certificate.
- Provide your name, address and date of birth to the Learner Registration Service (LRS) for the purpose of issuing or verifying your Unique Learner Number. The LRC privacy notice is available for review on our website.
- Share your data with your employer, where they have paid for your course fees.
In addition, CLS works with a number of third parties in order to meet our contractual, legal and statutory obligations. By submitting this application, you agree that CLS can share your data with the following:
- our print contractor in order to dispatch your course materials,
- our virtual learning environment, which we refer to as the Student Area (SA), so you can access and use the functionality of the Student Area. Your name may be displayed to other students enrolled on the same course on the online SA and will be displayed to other students enrolled with CLS if you post on any of the online Forums. CLS staff will have access to data on your SA usage and activities
- the email software and survey tool providers we use to issue mass communications, including surveys.
Data protection legislation gives you a number of rights relating to the use of your data. Please refer to our Data Protection and Privacy policies, which can be found on our website, for further information and contact details should you have any questions or concerns.
Access to the Student Area: No refund or compensation will be given for periods of non-availability of the Student Area or any of its features.
Assessments: You need to arrange for your assessments to be taken under supervision.
Contract: The laws of England and Wales shall apply in all respects and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Copyright: Copyright in the course materials for the Legal Studies’ qualifications remains that of CILEx Law School. Copyright in the course materials for the Legal Secretaries’ qualifications remains that of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), except for the element of the Diploma for Legal Secretaries – Legal Studies route, which depends on the Legal Studies’ materials. No part of the materials may be reproduced in any form, including photocopying, recording and storing electronically, nor lent, hired or resold for commercial purposes, without prior written permission of CILEx.
Delivery of course materials: We aim to deliver your course materials within 14 days of receipt of your order, or 28 days if you live overseas, unless we contact you to advise of any delays. CILEx Law School will not accept liability for any claims for losses arising from delivery outside this period.
Duration of tuition: Courses for the Award and Certificate qualifications are valid for one year from the last day of the month in which enrolment takes place, and courses for Diploma qualifications for fifteen months. Tuition for options purchased at additional cost will be for one year commencing on the date of dispatch of that option.
Internet access: It is a condition of your application that you have access to the internet so that you can access the resources on the CILEx Law School Student Area. You also need to satisfy yourself about your ability to use the web-based course resources by reference to the specification provided on our website.
Non-transferability of course: The course is not transferable to any other party.
Overseas students: If you live outside mainland Great Britain you must remit a further fee of £30 for all programmes. This is to cover postage of your course materials now and ongoing correspondence throughout the course.
Refund/Change of course: A full refund of the course fee will be given if the course materials are returned to CILEx Law School (CLS), in good condition and with postage having been pre-paid in full by you, within fourteen days following the date you receive them. Thereafter, provided all materials are returned to CLS, in good condition and with postage having been pre-paid in full by you, before the expiry of a period of four weeks from the date of your course enrolment with CLS, your course fees will be refunded less an administration charge of £30 including VAT per course. Refunds will not be given after this four-week period has expired. This also applies to students wishing to change course who, in addition, will be required to pay any difference between the cost of the two courses, and the overseas postage charge where applicable.
Reinstatement: Reinstatement on your course at a reduced fee is available if your course has expired and if you wish to purchase the same course again (subject to this course still being available at that time).
Unreasonable behaviour: We ask that you speak courteously to our staff and do not make excessive or unreasonable demands. If, after a warning, you continue to be discourteous towards CLS staff and/or make further unreasonable or excessive demands, we may at our discretion either suspend or withdraw your course without a refund. You will also abide by the CLS Student Code of Conduct.
Use of the Student Area: By enrolling on this course you agree to CILEx Law School staff having access to data on your Student Area usage and activities.