CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Elderly Client Practice)
This CILEx Level 3 Certificate will enable you to advise on the law of succession, take will instructions and draft wills, register enduring powers of attorney, advise on lasting powers of attorney and prepare applications to the Court of Protection. Our courses are written to deliver the CILEx syllabus, and are re-published annually to ensure the content is up to date.
Who is the course for?
This package is relevant:
- if you are looking to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive lawyer. The CILEx Level 3 Certificates in Law and Practice are paralegal qualifications offered in a variety of legal practice areas. The Certificates are standalone qualifications but can also form part of the CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice.
- anyone wishing to gain an entry-level qualification in law, perhaps as a more practical alternative to law A Level
- those looking to have a qualification to assist with getting a foot in the door of the legal profession
- paralegals and legal administrators in law firms who wish to develop into a file-handling role
- legal secretaries in law firms who wish to build on their legal secretarial experience
- for subject knowledge by those working outside the legal profession in organisations dealing with employment or contractual matters, debt recovery, mortgage lending, personal injury, insurance or children’s services.
At a glance
- Includes five CILEx Level 3 courses
Course valid for 15 months
Delivered by supported distance learning
Based on the CILEx unit syllabus
Assessed by multiple choice question exam
Includes an induction to studying CILEx courses at Level 3
Includes the course manual and an induction to studying CILEx courses at Level 3
Benefit from our experience and expertise
CILEx Level 3 induction
Attendance at an induction day is included with Unit 1 Introduction to Law and Practice. Most students choose to attend an induction day, and the upcoming dates are shown below. The induction provides details on your course and how to approach legal study, with activities on timetabling and how to answer different styles of question. It will give you a great starting point to get the most out of distance learning.
The induction day is also a great opportunity to meet other students face-to-face, as well as a representative from our Academic Team. As you get closer to your exams you will also have the opportunity to attend a revision session for your law or legal practice units.
Essential course information
In addition to the overview below, you can find further information on the How our CILEx courses work page.
These courses are delivered by supported distance learning, with online, face-to-face and telephone support. There are no fixed enrolment dates so you can enrol at any time of year. The course is valid for fifteen months and you need to complete all the course study exercises and mock assignment within this period.
Each unit will typically take 70 hours to complete including studying and revision. You can decide how you will allocate that time according to your other commitments. There will be at least two exam sessions (January and June each year) within the period of duration of your course, and you can select which you wish to aim for.
These courses are set at A Level standard.
For further information on the course resources please visit the How our CILEx courses work page.
The method of assessment for each type of unit is given below:
- Unit 1, Intro to Law and Practice: multiple choice test in January and June each year (one hour duration)
- Units 2-8, law units: examination for each unit in January and June each year (1½ hours’ duration)
- Units 9-15 and 18-19, practice units: practical assessment for each unit in January and June each year based on pre-released case study materials ( 1½ hours’ duration)
- Units 16-17, professional skills: tasks set by CILEx and assessed by CILEx Law School according to assessment criteria set by CILEx.
The exams are set by CILEx. Please see the CILEx information section below for information on exam key dates and deadlines.
The professional skills courses (Client Care and Legal Research) are assessed by coursework, which takes the form of an assignment set by CILEx: ‘the Assessed Assignment’. There is no exam. Your Assessed Assignment is marked by CILEx Law School and then moderated by CILEx. Once you have received a provisional pass on your Assessed Assignment from CILEx Law School you will register with CILEx for your Assignment to be considered for the next available exam session, so that your results can be included in the results for that session. You need to pay an assessment fee in order for CILEx to include your Assignment in its moderation procedures for a particular exam session. Administrative arrangements are explained in your Handbook. The following timelines give you an indication of the calendar of events for this course:
- Enrolments between January and June
- Earliest possible CILEx exam session: the following January
- Initial CLS internal submission for that session: any time before the August deadline
- Enrolments between July and December
- Earliest possible exam session: June
- Initial CLS internal submission for that session: any time before the February deadline
CILEx Law School is committed to the provision of accessible learning and ensuring that all students are afforded equal opportunities throughout their studies. If you require reasonable adjustments in relation to a disability, health condition or learning difficulty, or if you would like additional information, please email our Learner Support Advisor (LSA) at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no formal entry requirements for the CILEx Level 3 qualifications. However, as the qualifications are at Level 3, CILEx does recommend that students have a minimum of four GCSEs at grades C or above (including English Language or Literature) or equivalent qualifications.
Exemptions are available from some units if you already have an A level, or certain other law qualifications. Before enrolling on any course with us, please contact CILEx to check that you don’t already have exemptions from the related CILEx unit and to confirm any exemption you wish to claim.
Additional fees/costs include, where applicable:
- Live sessions/workshops: a £10 administration fee per live session/workshop, payable at the time of booking. You may also incur costs associated with attending such events (e.g. travel, accommodation).
- Professional skills subject champion: a £30 subject champion referral fee, where you require more than the number of markings of the assessed assignment that are included within the course fee. You can purchase a maximum of two subject champion referrals before a course is terminated. Please refer to the Skills Referral Policy for further information.
- International shipping: where you require your materials shipped internationally (outside mainland GB), you will incur a one-time postage fee of £15 for Europe and £25 for outside Europe.
- CILEx membership: anyone who wishes to sit a CILEx Level 3 exam or assessment must be a current member of CILEx. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with and stay up to date on CILEx membership rules and regulations to ensure that you have met their conditions. You are responsible for paying the CILEx membership fee. Refer to cilex.org.uk for further information.
- Exam registration: Enrolment on a course does not constitute exam entry. You are responsible for registering to enter the relevant CILEx exam including paying the exam entry fee and making the relevant arrangements, particularly if you live overseas as you will be required to locate and organise your own external examination centre.
The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) is the CILEx membership body. You will deal with CILEx in matters relating to exams registration, locations and fees, as well as those relating to your CILEx membership.
Below you will find information on fees relating to membership and exams, as well as exam key dates and deadlines set by CILEx.
You will need to become a member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) in order to sit CILEx exams or assessments. The grade of member depends on your current status:
- If you are enrolling on your first CILEx Level 3 course: you will join as a Student Member
- Once you successfully pass your first CILEx Level 3 exam: you attain Affiliate Membership
- Upon completion of the CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice: you progress to Associate Member status and are entitled to use the ACILEx designatory letters
You must register as a member with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), and pay the annual membership fee, to be eligible to enter the exam. The amount payable depends on the relevant membership level.
The CILEx subscription year runs from 1 January to 31 December each year. Depending on when you join during the membership year the membership fee will be calculated on a pro-rata basis from the date of registration to 31 December.
Exams are held in January and June every year. When you enrol with us on a course we do not specify which exam session you should register for, as our courses are designed to offer maximum flexibility. You may have a lot of available time and wish to enter the first available exam, or you may need to use the full period of your course if you are fitting your studies around many other commitments. If you would like advice on which exam session to aim for, and how to use the exam sessions to spread your academic workload across the year, please contact us.
We offer a number of payment options so you can select the one which works best for you.
Online. Enrol now by clicking on ‘Buy online’ at the top of this page and following the checkout process.
By BACS. Download and complete the application form at the top of this page and email it to email@example.com for further instructions. An instalment option is available if paying by BACS. See the application form for details.
Payment by your employer or a third party. If your employer or a third party is paying your fees please download and complete the application form at the top of this page and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions. The instalment option is not available.
Our terms and conditions, use of data and policies
For current terms and conditions, our Privacy Statement and other policies, please visit: