CILEx Level 6 Single Subject Certificates
CILEx Law School offers a wide range of courses providing in-depth training in specialist areas of law or legal practice. They can be studied simply to gain knowledge, but if you wish to sit an exam they can also lead to the award of a Level 6 Certificate in the subject studied.
These courses are also used to build up the qualifications for the academic stage of Chartered Legal Executive training, but are available to study individually by anyone seeking to develop specialist knowledge, or to refresh knowledge following a career break.
Who are these courses for?
The courses are pitched at the equivalent to honours-degree level (law subjects) or LPC-level (legal practice subjects). As well as contributing to the Chartered Legal Executive training they are an excellent resource if you:
are a Chartered Legal Executive wishing to satisfy the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s academic stage of training
wish to meet the knowledge requirements to qualify as a CILEx Conveyancing Practitioner or CILEx Probate Practitioner
are a Chartered Legal Executive and wish to satisfy the knowledge requirements to become a CILEx Immigration Practitioner
are a qualified practitioner and are looking to re-train in order to switch to a new area of legal practice
are a qualified lawyer and you need a refresher if you are returning to work after a career break
are a law graduate who has not studied the LPC but is looking for a recognised qualification in a specific area of legal practice
wish to undertake training to work as a will writer
are a solicitor, a barrister or law graduate and you wish to qualify as a Notary Public
The Level 6 units in law and practice also contribute to the second stage of training towards becoming a Chartered Legal Executive – the CILEx Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice – and the CILEx qualification for law graduates – the CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma. Courses are also available in professional skills.
Click on the links for further information on each specific course.
The academic standard is roughly equivalent to honours-degree level, so you are most likely to benefit from them if you have already studied at law at A-level or at CILEx Level 3. If you have not studied for a long time, or perhaps are still building the confidence to attempt higher-level study, then we recommend that you select from our Level 3 courses in law and practice in the first instance. You can also contact our Customer Service Team at CILEx Law School on 01234 844300 for advice on course selection.
You can enrol on any course at any time of year. Each course is valid for 15 months and you need to complete all the course study exercises within this period. The course is designed to allow you the maximum flexibility to study at your pace, but with all the support and resources that you need to ensure you keep up your momentum. There are two CILEx exam sittings per year, in January and June, and as an CILEx Law School student you can choose the one to suit you, and structure your timetable accordingly.
Most students choose to attend an induction day. This is a great opportunity to meet a representative of our academic team as well as fellow CILEx Law School students. You will be introduced to all the course facilities, and learn how to approach advanced legal study.
On-course support is available from our Academic Team by telephone during office hours, and our designated tutors on course Forums are on hand to help you with course queries. The Forums are hosted in our on-line Student Area which is the hub of your studies. You will be part of a ‘learning community’, so you will never feel isolated or that you are on your own.
Your course includes a face-to-face revision day, subject to payment of a booking fee to secure your selected date and location. We run revision programmes in advance of each set of CILEx exam sittings, and you will be able to take up your revision day entitlement during any programme that falls within the 15-month period of validity of your course.
- Course manual: written to deliver the CILEx syllabus for each law and practice unit. It is republished annually each summer and complemented by a spring update in the following year to ensure that your knowledge is current for the summer exam session.
- Student Area: this is a personalised virtual learning environment through which you will access your tutor-monitored course forum and the other course resources outlined below.
- CILEx Law School Unit Guide: explains how the course works.
- Study Skills Guide: an easy-to-use guide to acquiring legal learning skills.
- Study exercise: the five study exercises are key teaching materials for your law and practice units. The study exercise questions are structured to help you understand the syllabus content and are marked by your personal tutor. They teach you to apply the the knowledge gained through reading the course manual and are an excellent preparation for answering questions in the exam.
- Revision materials: these are specially written and are available via the Student Area in advance of law and practice revision days.
- Course Summary: a summary of the syllabus which is an essential revision aid. Sent out on request when you decide which exam session you wish to aim for.
- Mock exam: a mock exam which your personal tutor will mark. Suggested solutions to the mock exam are also available on the Student Area.
- Legal research database: a leading online legal database.
Each CILEx Level 6 law and practice unit is examined by a three-hour unseen exam. For practice units the exam is based on pre-released case study materials. You must register with CILEx to sit your exam. Administrative arrangements are explained in your CILEx Law School Student Guide. Key dates and current assessment fees are available here. An exam entry fee is payable to CILEx. For each Level 6 exam pass you will be awarded a CILEx Level 6 Single Subject Certificate.
If you do not wish to sit an exam, CILEx Law School will award a Certificate of Completion if you submit and pass all of the course assignments and the mock exam in a particular subject.
If you are new to distance learning we recommend that you enrol on an induction day. This introduces you to distance learning, and covers analytical and research skills which you will find useful for studying at this level.
Whilst the course fee includes the course manual, there is an additional recommended text for all CILEx Level 6 courses, offering supplementary reading, which you will need to purchase separately. Details of the recommended text, and an order form, will be available on the Student Area once you have enrolled on a course.