SMQ Legal Services LLP
- Programme: Paralegal Apprenticeship
- Location: Oxford
- Salary: TBC
- Minimum requirements: GCSE grades A to C or equivalent are essential, specifically Maths and English AND 3 A Levels grade C or above.
- Employment start: ASAP – May 2019
- Programme start: September 2019
12 Apr 2019
This really is an amazing opportunity to gain a breadth of knowledge and experience in the legal environment. SMQ Legal is a small firm with a family feel in the centre of Oxford. Not only is the location ideal, the partners are very keen on progressing the two paralegal apprentices and have the intention of retaining staff for future succession planning.
Please apply if you are ready to take on a challenge and be trained up to be a competent paralegal in the heart of Oxford.
About the role
We are looking for two apprentices to join our family orientated firm in Oxford. You will focus 50% of your time on family law cases, which consist of both private and public law work. The apprentices will also gain experience in other fields of law, including Criminal, Litigation, Landlord and Tenant, and Employment (please see our website for a full array of services we provide).
We are also willing to fund apprentices completing the Police Station Accreditation Exam so that they can represent clients at the police station and earn over-time. It is very important that our Apprentices show a willingness to obtain this accreditation and recognise that when on call, you could be required to attend the local Police Station at Abingdon out of hours.
There will also be the opportunity to have access to legal learning tools and we believe networking is very important so apprentices will be given the chance to attend Chambers and learning events. Suzanne King is a committee member of Resolutions in Oxford, a national organisation that help effects change in Family Law practice.
We are actively involved in Pro Bono work with the local Citizen Advice Bureau Offices and provide free 20-minute consultations on any service we offer. Our aim is to find apprentices with a thirst to learn who can actually conduct these free 20 minute initial appointments on straightforward subject matters after obtaining sufficient training from us.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Running cases under supervision – this can include an array of tasks such as instructing experts, watching and analysing CCTV, taking witness statements, liaising with instructed counsel etc.
- Clerking court cases, attending legal visits.
- Taking client instructions and providing legal advice and assistance.
- Drafting legal documents.
- Preparation of correspondence and documents through word processing.
- Receiving and directing telephone calls.
- Maintaining diaries and making appointments when required.
- Photocopying documents.
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing post.
- Ensuring file management in accordance with Quality Procedures Manual, LAA Contract, Lexcel and SQM requirements.
- Liaising with clients in person and by telephone, including conferencing
- Liaising with others by telephone.
- Filing and other clerical duties.
- Reception activities.
- File archival activities.
- Undertaking legal research and maintaining legal knowledge through training.
- Compliance with SRA Code of Conduct and SRA Accounts Rules.
- Contributing to maintaining a safe and healthy working environment
- Contribute to maintaining and improving office procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with Equality and Diversity Policy
- Any other duties, which from time to time are required by the firm.
- To make and receive telephone calls so as to provide updates of information to relevant parties as required.
- To prepare and process correspondence and documents through word processing
- To assist with the preparation and collation of correspondence and documents.
- To ensure that an effective filing system is maintained.
- To assist with the dispatch of outgoing correspondence and enclosures.
- To ensure the confidentiality and security of the firm’s and client documentation and information.
- To undertake any specific training when required to do so.
- Marketing – posting Social Media comments, drafting articles for the website.
- Accountancy – assisting the Finance partner with issuing client receipts and bills.
The ideal candidate will have the confidence to deal with various individuals and groups. You will be supported to undertake recognised qualifications whilst gaining invaluable on-the-job experience. You will need to be a team player, reliable, adaptable, trustworthy, conscientious, and able to work to instructions.